Maurice Eugene Barker
Humboldt, TN; Fayetteville, AR
BS Valparaiso University
MS University of South Carolina
After graduating from Valparaiso University (Indiana) in 1915,
Dr. Barker travelled to the Philippine Islands in a federal
program that was precursor to the Peace Corps. He served
in the Coast Artillery Corps U.S. Army until 1924, when he
transferred to the Chemical Warfare Service. During this time,
he earned a Master’s Degree in Chemistry at the University of
In 1930, Barker completed his work for the Doctor of Science
Degree at MIT, during which he was initiated into the Alpha
Zeta chapter of Alpha Chi Sigma fraternity. After MIT, Barker
spent a year as head of the Research Division, Chemical
Warfare Service, followed by more duty as an instructor, a tour
with the 2nd Division, and five years as the director of research
and engineering of the Chemical Corps.
Barker joined the Western Task Force Staff in 1942, planning
for the invasion of North Africa. He was in the Fifth Army,
participating in the Tunesian and Italian campaigns. In 1944,
he returned to the U.S.A. as Commandant, Chemical Corps
School and as Commanding Officer of the Chemical Corps
Training Center. In 1948, he retired in the grade of Colonel
with many decorations, to become Head of the Department of
Chemical Engineering at the University of Arkansas.
In connection with his research at the University of Arkansas,
Barker pioneered in the use of sericea lespedeza as a source of
cellulose. He was issued 19 U.S. patents and authored over 100
technical and popular publications.
Arkansas Academy of Chemical Engineers Honorary Member, 2006.