Ralph E. Martin
Kenna, N.M.; Eureka Springs, AR; Tyler, TX
BSChE 1958
MSChE 1960

After finishing his education, Mr. Martin joined Howe Baker Engineers iTyler, Texas, where he met Jack Scott, another chemical engineer. Together they formed their own company, Marsco, in 1969. In 1980, they sold Marsco to the William Hudson Group Ltd. In 1981, Martin and several former Marsco employees formed PetroFac, Inc. PetroFac has developed into a truly international group designing, building and operating oil & gas plants throughout much of the world, and training the workforces that do this. The small company that Martin began in Texas now employs several thousand professional staff worldwide and has annual revenues approaching $1 billion. Martin retired from the company in 2004. Several years ago, Martin established the Martin Academic Enrichment Fund Endowment in the department, which has enhanced the educational experiences of our undergraduates through such activities as the WERC Design Competition. In 2005, Martin made a gift enabling the department to establish three endowed chairs, five endowed professorships, and five doctoral fellowships, in addition to increasing the endowment of the Martin Academic Enrichment Fund. In honor of Mr. Martin’s very generous gift, the department was named the Ralph E. Martin Department of Chemical Engineering.

 

UA College of Engineering Advisory Council. UA College of Engineering Hall of Fame, 2003. Arkansas Academy of Chemical Engineers inaugural induction, 2005.